Last Updated on
Reading Time: 6 minutes
When the weather is fair, like summertime, it's fun to hold a party in the backyard. Whether you have a limited or spacious backyard, there are bright backyard party ideas you'll surely love to apply for your next outdoor bonding activity with family and friends. You can play different outdoor games and experience the heat of the sun and even at night time sharing stories and star gazing! Of course, don't miss preparing the best barbecue or smoked food recipes with your electric grill.
Bring out the fun in your home by throwing an outdoor party! Invite your friends and relatives to come over for a big birthday celebration or any special event. In this post, you'll learn different awesome outdoor party ideas to help you with your party planning checklist. Let's get started!
How to Party in Your Backyard
1. Choose a Party Theme
The initial step you need to do is to choose a theme for your party because the food, ambiance, and activities are all based on the theme.
However, with the different party themes available, it can be challenging and overwhelming to choose the right one. Of course, you want something that is unique and will bring pure enjoyment to your guests.
Here are some popular party themes:
- Kid's backyard birthday party ideas like a cartoon-inspired party, fairy tale, or your child's favorite superhero (e.g. Frozen, Ben10)
- Adult birthdays inspired by your favorite movie or rock band
- Summer party theme such as a pool party
- Campfire theme with grilled food and plenty of drinks
2. Set a Budget
A crucial factor you have to consider is your budget because the cost easily adds up if you do impulsive buying. Define your budget and stick to it to avoid overspending. Source for the most affordable but quality ingredients, props, materials, and tools you need for the party.
Here are the important things to consider when setting a budget for a backyard party:
- Food choices or menu which includes drinks
- Professional services needed such as catering, landscaping, or cleaning services
- Audiovisual equipment rentals
- Entertainment like clowns for children parties
- Expenses for props, souvenirs, or giveaways
- Number of expected guests
3. Set a Date
As early as possible, you need to set a date for the party so you can send invites early and get confirmation of who is coming or not. Limit the number of guests so you can throw a backyard party on a budget.
If you have money to burn, why not hire a bigger outdoor party venue? Let your family and friends know a couple of weeks in advance so they can clear their schedule or save the date for you.
4. Send Your Invites
A late invite may come in conflict with other people's plans. Send invites three weeks in advance so your friends and relatives can come and enjoy your party. Traditional personalized invitations are better than online invitations most especially if you are celebrating a special occasion such as a baby shower or an engagement party.
What's Included in a Party Planning Checklist
1. Stock Party Decorations, Equipment, and Supplies
Whether you want a simple or an all-out party, the real exciting part of a party starts with the party decorations. Children's parties should be colorful and fun, while adult parties can also include fantasy themes, reminiscing childhood party dreams! Go to what your heart desires and what your imagination can take you. Be resourceful and creative.
Check these tips for your backyard party decorations, equipment, and supplies!
- Consider purchasing a quality 10x20 pop up canopy tent for your backyard party in the summer.
- Paper decorations, such as pom-poms, honeycomb decorations, and fans, look stylish and are great outdoor party decor ideas. Stick to your theme colors to guarantee for a perfect color-coordination.
- DIY art crafts, like lanterns and self-painted balloons, can take your backyard party to the next level.
- Use available materials at home like old stuff toys or car toys to decorate your backyard or patio for your next backyard party.
2. Birthday Cake
A birthday party is not complete without a birthday cake. Make sure to order a birthday cake for several weeks in advance. If ever you decide to bake a cake for your child's birthday party, doing a trial run is a good idea to prevent baking disasters.
3. Outdoor Party Games for Adults
You probably know a lot of kiddie outdoor party games. Children love solo and team games, such as 'stop dance', ball games, and 'trip to Jerusalem'. But if you're planning to hold an outdoor party for adults, you need to have bright backyard entertainment ideas too. You can prepare adult party games such as:
- Outdoor Pictionary
- Bocce ball
- Minute to Win It Games
- Obstacle Courses
- Frisbee Tic-Tac-Toe
Backyard Party Ideas for Adults
Generally, adult backyard parties include plenty of food and alcoholic drinks. Whether you want a live band or background music coming from your outdoor speakers, adults love to sing and dance. Be merry, drink, and celebrate!
Garden party ideas involve celebrations of important milestones such as promotion, a new business, successful business, engagement, anniversaries, or sports achievement.
If you're celebrating because of business expansion, it's a good idea to let your family and friends try your products or hang or install posters of your ads as decors. Celebrating a sports achievement may also include watching a video of the winning tournament.
It may seem easy to hold a party in the evening than day time. You can place the tables and chairs anywhere without worrying about sunlight exposure. For outdoor party ideas at night, you can simply prepare a hearty meal, drink, and party all night. However, you also need to take care of lighting, keeping insects at bay, and ways to keep the party alive all night.
Here are some tips and tricks to make your backyard party a success:
- If your deck or patio furniture cannot accommodate your guests, bring dining room chairs and kitchen stools outside. You can also borrow your invited neighbors' chairs and tables. Renting folding chairs and table is also a good idea which only cost between $1 to $6.
- Don't miss your backyard party light too! For your backyard party light, string holiday twinkle lights in V-shape or straight line for an elegant look. You can drape them across tree branches too for a whimsical feel. Make sure to secure all extension cords to the ground using wires. Candles and tiki torches are also great ways to create a warm and comfortable atmosphere.
- Securing a flyaway tablecloth is a good idea by using concealed safety pins and filling small pocket pouches with stones that serve as a weight for the tablecloth. You can also stick Velcro on the corners of the tablecloth and the legs of your tables.
- Backyard party food ideas should include a wide array of choices for everyone to enjoy, from finger foods up to the main course within your budget.
- Keep insects, like bugs and mosquitoes, at bay by setting up a fan near the main seating area and placing citronella candles in clusters around.
- It’s a good idea investing in outdoor party tents to keep you and your guest comfortable while partying. Good quality outdoor party tents are affordable and widely available.
Outdoor Summer Party Ideas
Summer is a favorite season because it's the best time to have an outdoor party. You probably have nice summer party ideas like a beach party or camping party. A bbq party is a nice summer party concept and you’ll find that bbq party ideas for adults are great! For instance, you can add a patriotic touch by decorating your patio and backyard with flags and symbols.
If you’re organizing a large gathering or a public event, such as a neighborhood watch meeting or a beer festival, make sure to jazz it up with a perfect theme, such as garden tea party, World Cup, Hawaiian or tropical, decades (70s, 80s, and 90s), Fiesta, or beach theme.
For your outdoor party food, your backyard party menu ideas should be based on your party theme. For day time parties, smoked or grilled foods are the best. Summer themed parties do well with seafood. If you’re planning to have an outdoor summer bbq party, don’t miss the following food on your menu:
- Burger buns and hot dog rolls
- Chicken thighs and wings
- Cheese Slices
- Burger garnish such as tomato, red onion, and lettuce
- Mixed Salads like potato salad or basic salad
- Veggie Skewers like halloumi, onion, courgette, red pepper,
- Meat and Fish Skewers like prawns, chorizo chunks, or chicken
- Portobello mushrooms
- Corn on the cob (Get some holders handy because it's messy!)
- Baking potatoes
- BBQ sauce, Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, or burger relish
- Marshmallows on sticks or bananas in foil for dessert!
Note: According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 out of 6 Americans get sick because of food poisoning. Enjoying your meal outdoors should also reinforce strict food hygiene measures to ensure health and safety.
Indeed, it's a good idea to hold a 'Party in Backyard Event' at home. Of course, like kids, having backyard party games for adults will make it more fun and exciting! Remember that outdoor party themes come and go, so don't be afraid to experiment or try something new. Also, get your children's outside birthday party ideas to make their special day more special.